STEM Night 2013

Tonight I handed out about 500 high fives and took about 100 pictures of smiling faces.  There were experiments and predictions happening.  We had students building towers and bridges.  There were musical instruments of all kinds playing through the halls.  Countless dead appliance met a gruesome fate in the cafeteria.  It was a night of rich exploration and near unending smiles.  We even had some students who left in tears because they wanted to stay longer.  It took a lot of planning and effort from a great deal of people to make tonight a reality.  So with that I would like to say thank you.

Thank you to the students who came with eyes wide and minds ready for exploration.   They are the reason we get out of bed in the morning.

Thank you to the parents who support the work we do every day.   We could not make this journey of learning possible without your support and partnership.

Thank you to the teachers who gave up their evening, missing dinners, bedtimes, goodnight stories, and more.

Thank you to the administration who support and expect this type of learning on a regular basis.

Thank you to the volunteers who gave up their time willingly to be with us this evening.

Thank you to everyone involved.  You make Discovery Academy a truly special place to work and learn.  I am in awe of your dedication, your energy, and your support.  I come to work each and every day not thinking of it as a “job,” but rather as an adventure of learning and excitement.  This is a night that many children will probably remember for a long time.  Each and every one of you had a part in that.  And that’s something pretty special.

I’ve attached a few pictures.  There are tons more taken by myself and the Discovery staff.  I will continue to post them in the coming days.  Enjoy the few I have to share tonight.

Thank you!

-Mr. Reed-Swale

One thought on “STEM Night 2013

1. Tom,

You are right that we expect this sort of learning all the time at Discovery and our talented faculty deliver on a regular basis! Thank you for showcasing how exciting STEM education can be.

Dr. Toper